This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!
Nature and Variety of Work:
The person in this position is responsible for providing a safe, enjoyable summer camp experiences for all campers in the summer camp program. This work involves taking direction, the ability to take charge, and having good judgement skills. A summer camp counselor is required to be with the campers at all times, including all swimming activities.
Responsibility and Supervisory Relationships:
The camp counselor is directly responsible to the Senior Staff and Recreation Supervisor. Camp counselors ultimately report to the Director of Recreation.
Desirable experience and training:
Camp Counselors should be at least 17 years of age, or show examples of leadership or youth program experience. They should have an understanding of age appropriate activities and behavior management techniques for children in grades K-8. The Camp Counselor should be able to initiate activities and be a self-starter, as well as have effective communication skills, for dealing with children and adults. Camp counselors should also possess the following traits: dependable, considerate, flexible, sense of humor, and a great work ethic.
Summer Camp Counselor Duties:
- Greet parents and campers with a smile daily.
- Be familiar with, and in compliance with, all of the information in the staff handbook.
- Attend all staff meetings and training sessions, as well as complete all required online trainings.
- Ensure all environments, in which he/she supervises children, are safe and age appropriate.
- Plan/Implement activities and events as assigned by the Recreation Supervisor.
- Report any accidents, injuries, and incidences to the Recreation Supervisor and immediately fill out appropriate paperwork.
- Follow Emergency Action Plan.
- Adhere to duties and responsibilities assigned to you by the Senior Staff and Recreation Supervisor.
- Be accountable for all equipment and use it in an appropriate manner.
- Bring and suspicions of abuse or neglect of a child who attends camp to the attention of the Recreation Supervisor.
- Participate in all games and activities.
- Be a positive role model.
- Any other duties assigned to staff member by a Senior Staff Member, Recreation Supervisor or Recreation Director that will better the overall recreation and leisure experience for not only the campers, but the community members of Buxton.
Additional Forms and Files: